personal trainer helping a client perform a stretch

Examining State Licensure Requirements for Personal Trainers and Exercise Specialists

Bryan University Exercise Specialist, Personal Trainer Degree, Personal Trainer Diploma Leave a Comment

School is a vital part of the equation when it comes to starting your path as a personal trainer, but it’s still only part of it. Most states require certification for a person to become a personal trainer. While the type of certification isn’t regulated, there are many accredited certification organizations that will gladly help you begin your journey. 

In today’s blog, our team of experts at Bryan University will cover licensure and certification, and how you should approach the path to becoming a certified personal trainer

What Is State Certification?

State certification is a state-recognized credential received through an international organization dedicated to accreditation. According to the National Law Review’s article Personal Training: Historically Unregulated Occupation with Change on Horizon, state legislators set the boundaries for how these organizations certify personal trainers. 

Popular organizations for individuals to certify through include:

  • National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)
  • National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
  • American Council on Exercise (ACE)

All of these organizations allow certification seeking personal trainers to pay for the ability to test to their standards. If the aspiring trainer makes the grade, they are allowed the certification and can begin working. 

Legalities on Certification

There are no current legal requirements on which certification to get, outside of companies within a state proclaiming a preference for a certification. This being said, the national organizations above focus on specific fields of specialization. NASM allows for rehabilitation and nutrition certification, while ACE focuses on personal fitness. The NSCA focuses on strength and conditioning as a specialty, and so on. 

State Requirements

The best way to ensure you are meeting your state requirements for certification, would be to check with the National Personal Training Association (NPTA). Also, check with your career office at your school. Both of these organizations will be in the know on exactly what requirements you must meet to be able to certify through your state. 

American Council on Exercise & Bryan University

Bryan University is an ACE Education Partner. This means our personal trainer courses prepare you to take the ACE certification test. Talk to our staff about ACE certification and our personal trainer program.

Bryan University on State Certification

We focus on providing a personalized experience for our students. Our Personal Trainer Diploma and Exercise Specialist pathways both allow students to dive deeply into their passion for personal fitness, and teach individuals to embrace overall wellness. If you have any questions on ACE certification, or how to prepare for it, please call Bryan University toll-free at 1-855-862-0755 or enroll now to begin your journey!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *